Foundation has always been a staple in my makeup bag, and for as long as I can remember I've been obsessed. It's like confidence in a bottle for me, and I should probably mention that my face is considerably lighter than my body, so without foundation I can look really ill.

During the summer my skin is quite oily, so I gravitate towards products that control oil and have longevity. But come autumn/winter my skin gets a bit dehydrated due to the colder weather and central heating, so I look for foundations that are more nourishing and provide some skin benefits. Anything that promises to photograph well and be transfer proof takes my interest. Here's a roundup of my favourite autumn/winter bases:


Autumn/winter foundation favourites

YSL Touche Eclat Le Teint Foundation £26. I love the glow this foundation gives. It provides a natural radiant finish. Having been reformulated earlier in the year it now provides better staying power than the original version. The shades run neutral to yellow and come in 22 colours. It's labelled as full coverage, but I think it provides a natural medium finish. I'm between shades B40 & B50 which suit me perfectly depending on how tanned I am. 

Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation £7.99. This is a great dupe for the YSL foundation. It provides good medium coverage, a natural matte finish, and feels great on the skin. It's a bit of a no-brainer due to the price, but the shade range is quite disappointing, so you might struggle to find a shade that matches.

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk £37. A cult favourite for a reason. This foundation photographs like no other.  The finish provides a lit-from-within glow, and it's oil free- a bonus for us oily girls. There are 21 shades to choose from, however I always struggle to find a perfect match. I find the undertones to be quite strong leaning towards red and peach tones. I have shades 4.5 for the winter and 6 for the summer. 

Chanel Les Beiges £36. Being a fan of Chanel Les Beige healthy glow fluid, I was mistaken to think this foundation provides sheer, glowy coverage. However, surprisingly this offers a demi-matte finish and is the highest coverage out of the foundations listed. It truly is buildable and super creamy. It reminds me of Nars Sheer Glow on the coverage front, but that's where the similarities end, as this formula is hydrating and doesn't emphasise dry patches.

Urban Decay Naked Skin £27. I love this foundation. It's such a good all-rounder with an excellent shade range. I'd be really upset if this ever became discontinued. It provides a demi-matte finish, has added skin benefits and is great for travelling due to the pump and plastic packaging. 

Little Tip. Don't be afraid to experiment by mixing foundations together to find the perfect coverage and colour.

I'd love to hear your recommendations based on my likes. Are we foundation twins?